I'm Addicted to ChinesePod...
And I just got my first Mac ever. Now I'm playing around with OSX scripting. I wrote some Python scripts for my daily ChinesePod workflow and an AppleScript Studio application for the easy input. Everything is quite quick and dirty, but maybe those tools are useful for other CPod addicts as well...
Please note, that this software is provided “as is” and I can't provide much support and absolutely no guarantee for it. I didn't pack the python scripts deep into the app-package, so you can access them easily.
I only learn and use simplified characters. The CPodTools only work for simplified characters, but it should be quite easy to add traditional support. I'd need samples of a dialogue transcript, expansion source html (the sentences part only) a CPod vocab.csv for knowing what to do.
Please leave any messages, questions, remarks, improvements (or kudos) in the project forums, the Bugtracker or the Feature Requests. And please pardon my bad English. I'm really focused on Chinese...
Warm regards, and keep on learning!
Current version is 1.4, released December 2 2007. It handles ChinesePod's new login system when scraping lesson infos and expansion sentences.
By the way, since the expansion sentences come without pinyin, I convert the file fetched by CPodTools to pinyin using DimSum. I save it as an extra file and then merge the two using a small mergeLines.py script. Still not really comfortable, but better than pasting everything line by line.
- download the audio sentences of a dialog or the expansion section
- open the transcript html by the lesson's level and id
- scrape the transcript html from the web or the html source file
- scrape the expansion sentences from the web or the html source file
- save scraped text to various formats
- avoid importing duplicates using an ignore list
- convert CPod's Vocab Csv file to various formats, including IFlash.
- convert CPod's Vocab Xml file to various formats, including IFlash.
- fetch only entries with a special tag from CPod's Vocab Xml file
- download the vocab audio files
- store your recent setting for further use